Broome, Western Australia
The Quitskills program Tackling Indigenous Smoking Brief Intervention is a three-day nationally recognised training on smoking cessation.
The aim of this training is to:
- increase your skills, knowledge and confidence so that you can assess and discuss smoking behaviour with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- successfully support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to reduce or quit smoking.
The course will cover a range of topics, including:
- tobacco in Australia
- social determinants of health
- legislation and regulation
- health consequences
- understanding smoking
- cessation methods and products
- working with clients
- Quitline and other services
- population health
- legal and organisational policies and procedures.
Following successful completion of the course, a Statement of Attainment will be issued for the following competencies by the Aboriginal Health Council of South Australia [RTO 40142]:
- Assess readiness for and effect behaviour change [HLTPOP014]
- Provide information on smoking and smoking cessation [HLTPOP015]
- Provide interventions to nicotine dependent clients [HLTPOP016].
Cancer Council SA
Ph: (08) 8291 4146